Tuesday, April 17, 2007

This is the beginning

I've felt like there might be a blog in me for a while, but it's amazing how much coming up with just the right title can hold you up. This blog will be about parenting, but I'd like to reserve the right to write about other things so I didn't want the focus just there. This blog will be about gossip - people in my world, in the celebrity world, in the world at large - but I can't spend all my time talking about other people so the title couldn't be about that. It might be about fertility, but I'm hoping that's a temporary theme so I didn't want to put too much focus there. There will be some Internet shopping involved, but I'll run out of money eventually and who wants an out-of-date title? It's complex, no?

Then the other day I was reading a book with my son (singing, actually) and we came to the old song "Merrily We Roll Along" and it took me back. My own mother used to sing that song (along with "Good Night Ladies") to my sister and me as she wished us goodnight. It's a happy song. It has to do with parenting. And most importantly I think it captures the essence of who I am and what I hope to do, both with this blog and with my life. So there it was. My title.

A little about me...

I'm newly 40, the mom of one and the wife of one. I've been married to David for four years and in that time have moved from the west coast to the east coast, lived in four places, had one child and spent the last 9 months trying to have another. I used to teach and do research at a university and now, for the foreseeable future, I'm home with my son, Eli. I think about doing various things to get back into the money-making working world - from teaching part-time to becoming a book indexer to selling homemade bibs on Etsy - but for now those are all just in-process and my focus is on home and family.

I guess it's time to start rolling merrily along!

No comments: